Letters: Am I Liable for a Car Accident if Someone Hit Me Into Another Car?

Dear Chandler, 

I was out buying some Hanukkah presents the other day. It was a little snowy outside, but I thought I would be okay on the roads since the snowplow had just gone by. 

Anyways, that wasn’t the case. I ended up skidding on some ice while I was driving and hit the car in front of me in a left turn lane. It wasn’t that bad at first, just a little dent. Unfortunately, the car behind me didn’t expect me to stop so suddenly and they banged into the back of my car. Once that impact happened, both my car and the back of the car in front of me were smushed. I don’t feel like I’m responsible for the whole thing, but the guy who hit me was adamant about putting a claim in at my insurance company. He’s saying he has injuries from the accident. What can I do to put a stop to this whole thing? I can’t afford my rates to go up. 

Also, I have been very sore after being hit from behind.  I did not expect that rear-end accident and I think I may have some whiplash. I wasn’t even hurt from the first collision, it was really all from the guy who hit behind me. 


Snowy With a Chance of Collision


Dear Snowy With a Chance of Collision,

It seems like everyone involved in the accident may be a little out of step with the legal practices surrounding accidents in Kentucky. Everyone in the state of Kentucky that drives a vehicle is required to carry a Personal Injury Protection (PIP) policy. The state is also “no-fault” meaning that in the case of an accident, everyone files with their own insurance company.

Since you will be filing with your provider, your rates may go up. But, there are things you can do to prevent an increase and demonstrate your lack of fault in the case. Contact me as soon as possible so we can put together a plan for securing your rates and ensuring your coverage in the future.

Also, because you have been having pain and soreness after this accident, I would urge you to visit a hospital or seek guidance from your family doctor. They may refer you to a physical therapist or chiropractor that can help alleviate some of your pain. As mentioned above, if you are insured, there is a good chance that you have PIP attached to your car insurance.  In this case, the Emergency Room or chiropractor or PT should be able to bill directly to your PIP insurance. This will save you from having to pay out of pocket.

If you were working at the time of the accident and had to miss work, you may be eligible to receive compensation through your PIP for your lost wages as well. I know this may be a lot to handle on your own, but please do not hesitate to reach out to my office if you have any questions at all. I never charge anyone for calling to ask questions.


Car Accident Lawyer

Maze Law Offices