When you suffer injuries on a friend or neighbor’s property, you could pursue financial compensation from their insurance company. Property owners have an obligation to maintain the premises in a reasonably safe condition for guests. Typically, homeowner’s insurance will compensate for injuries and other losses related to the accident if the property owner acted negligently.

Under state premises liability law, property owners are liable for dangerous conditions on their land. However, it is important to remember that just because you were injured on another person’s property does not mean the landowner was negligent. Talk with a Georgetown premises liability lawyer at Maze Law Offices about your case. Our seasoned personal injury attorneys offer free, no-obligation consultations, so you have nothing to lose by giving us a call.

When Is a Property Owner Negligent?

Whether a property owner or someone else is legally responsible for a visitor’s injuries depends on several factors, including what type of guest the injured person was at the time of the incident. Property owners do not owe the same duty of care to all visitors. For example, homeowners owe a higher obligation to guests invited to their property for business purposes, such as a repairman or contractor. Trespassers are not protected under premises liability laws, and property owners are not liable for injuries they sustain while unlawfully on the premises.

Most often, premises liability claims involve friends or neighbors who are injured while visiting. For social guests, property owners have an obligation to address any potentially hazardous conditions that could harm their guests and warn of potential dangers. However, they can only be held responsible if they knew about the hazardous condition. Some examples of dangerous conditions that could harm guests include:

  • Wet floors
  • Loose carpeting
  • Unsecured pools
  • Inadequate lighting
  • Uneven or cracked flooring
  • Broken staircases or rails
  • Spilled food or other substances

Those harmed on a friend or neighbor’s property may be reluctant to bring a claim. However, as a Georgetown premises liability attorney can explain in further detail during an initial consultation, these claims are most commonly filed against the homeowner’s insurance company, rather than the homeowner themselves. So, there is no fear of upsetting a family member or friend by bringing a claim for compensation.

Available Compensation in a Premises Liability Case

After an accident, injured parties will likely have medical bills and other expenses to cover related to their injury. An injured individual can file a premises liability claim to seek compensation for the cost of past and future medical care, lost income, and any other related expenses incurred. They can also pursue non-economic damages, which account for the harm someone suffered that is not easily quantifiable. This includes their pain and suffering or other emotional trauma.

Those injured on another person’s property may have legal recourse if the property owner did not address a dangerous condition or other hazard on their land that caused the injury. The best premises liability lawyer in Georgetown would review a claim to determine if the homeowner was negligent and estimate compensation based on the factors of a specific case.

Enlist the Help of a Georgetown Premises Liability Attorney

You could be entitled to financial compensation if you or someone you love suffered injuries because a property owner failed to keep you safe. Under Kentucky’s well-established premises liability laws, a person seeking compensation for personal injuries due to another person’s negligence has only one year from the date of injury to file a claim. Speak with a Georgetown premises liability lawyer at Maze Law Offices right away to get started on your case.

Our trusted legal professionals can advocate for you and handle negotiations with your friend’s insurance company. While many people are reluctant to sue their friend or neighbor, even when they suffer serious injuries, hiring an attorney to handle the claim can help streamline the process and preserve the relationship. Contact our office if you have questions about injuries you sustained on someone else’s property. We are happy to offer absolutely free consultations to anyone who would like to discuss their potential case with an experienced lawyer.

Maze Law Offices